It’s my BIRTHDAY today!! Another year passes by very quickly, but it’s just another year because I certainly do not feel like I’m getting any older! My Grandma used to always tell me that everyday is special, hence, it should be our birthday EVERYDAY! One thing for sure is that she taught me to always be happy. She was always smiling and laughing and when others looked at her, they instantly became happier too. It always puts a smile on my face when I think of her. To celebrate, I’ve decided to treat myself today with my very own HEALTHY birthday cake! This year has been a huge year for me! It took me a few months to settle into living in the Middle East, but now I can finally call Dubai home. I love baking and this delicious cake is so FABULOUS! Gluten free banana cake, layered with chocolate ganache, smothered in blueberry cream and topped with lavender, jasmine flowers and rose petals. Who says cake can’t be HEALTHY?! This is sugar-free, dairy-free and gluten-free… Say what?! I put my heart and soul into my cooking and this is especially made for YOU with lots of love by ME!!! xx.
Serves 6. I used 18cm x 28cm baking tray and 10cm diameter round cookie cutter.
3 medium very ripe bananas
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
1 ½ cup almond meal
¼ cup flax meal
¼ cup desiccated coconut
½ tsp cinnamon
1 ripe avocado
½ cup medjool dates
2 ½ tsp raw cacao powder
¼ cup coconut milk
1 ½ cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
⅓ cup coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 tbsp maple syrup
7 tbsp frozen blueberries
1. Preheat oven at 160 degrees celsius.
2. Combine all wet ingredients (bananas, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla bean paste and coconut oil) in a mixing bowl.
3. Combine remaining dry ingredients (almond meal, flax meal, desiccated coconut and cinnamon)
4. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just combined.
5. Line baking tray with baking paper and pour in the mixture.
6. Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.
7. Let cool on cooling rack.
8. Add dates to a food processor and process until a smooth paste.
9. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
10. Put into the refrigerator whilst making the blueberry cream.
11. For the blueberry cream, add cashews to the food processor and process for a few minutes.
12. With the food processor still running, slowly add coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla bean paste.
13. Process until smooth and creamy.
14. Separate the mixture into 3 and take two thirds of the cashew cream mixture out of the food processor.
15. Add 4 tbsp of frozen blueberries to the food processor and process with one third of the cashew cream until smooth and creamy.
16. Place into a separate bowl and into the fridge to set.
17. Add one third of the original cashew cream mixture into the food processor. Add 2 tbsp of frozen blueberries and process with one third of the cashew cream until smooth and creamy.
18. Place into a separate bowl and into the fridge to set.
19. Add remaining cashew cream into the food processor. Add 1 tbsp of frozen blueberries and process with one third of the cashew cream until smooth and creamy.
20. Place into a separate bowl and into the fridge to set.
21. Use cookie cutter and cut 3 round slices of banana cake.
22. Divide chocolate ganache into 2 and carefully using a spatula, spread half of the ganache onto the first layer of cake.
23. Add next layer of cake on top of the chocolate ganache.
24. Again, carefully using a spatula, spread the remaining half of the ganache onto the second layer of cake.
25. Add top layer of cake.
26. Using a spatula start with the bottom of the cake, use the darkest blueberry cream and carefully smother around the bottom of the cake.
27. Repeat with the other shades of blueberry cream.
28. Sprinkle with favourite toppings of choice. I have used lavender, jasmine flowers and rose petals. Fresh fruit or nuts would also work well. Be creative!
29. Serve immediately or keep covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
30. Who says cake can’t be HEALTHY?!
Made with LOTS of love by the Secret Squirrel xx.