WOW! “Nutella” ice-cream that’s HEALTHY? Sounds too good to be true! I love ice-cream sandwiches. This is such a tasty dessert and will definately fool all your loved ones! Smooth choc hazelnut ice-cream wedged between a crunchy hazelnut cookie. Looks can be deceiving! This is sugar-free, dairy-free and gluten-free! Sneaky, sneaky… Sshhhh… Don’t tell them it’s healthy!
Makes 6 mini or 3 large ice-cream sandwiches
1 cup hazelnuts
⅔ cup coconut milk (full cream)
¼ cup agave syrup or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 cup medjool dates
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup hazelnut
2 tsp water
Cacao nibs (optional)
1. Preheat oven at 160 degrees celsius and roast hazelnuts for approximately 10-12 minutes – be careful not to burn!
2. Let cool and rub hazelnuts together in a paper towel to remove skins.
3. In a food processor, blend hazelnuts until it becomes a nut butter.
4. Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
5. Pour into a container and refrigerate overnight.
6. Roast hazelnuts (see step 1.) – be careful not to burn!
7. Let cool and rub hazelnuts together in a paper towel to remove skins.
8. Roughly chop ¼ cup hazelnuts and set aside for later.
9. Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor and pulse until the mixture is sticky.
10. To make mini ice-cream sandwiches, firmly press 1 tbsp of hazelnut cookie mixture into a mold. Continue until you have 12 cookies to make 6 sandwiches. To make larger ones, use 2 tbsp of the mixture.
11. Press the ¼ cup chopped hazelnuts (set aside earlier) into the cookies for extra crunch.
12. Wrap in glad wrap and freeze until ready for use.
13. Pull Nutella ice-cream out of the freezer and let defrost slightly for approximately 15 minutes.
14. Scoop ice-cream into balls and wedge between the hazelnut cookies.
15. Decorate with cacao nibs.
16. Surprise your loved ones with this tasty treat! I can guarantee they won’t believe it’s HEALTHY! 😉
Made with love by the Secret Squirrel xx.