I love fried rice, in fact, I grew up eating fried rice. It’s my comfort food. This is my mum’s recipe with a few variations and I’ve swapped the rice for quinoa which is a great source of proteins. This is the perfect healthy meal and I hope you like this recipe as much as I do!! So YUMMY!!! Plus, you can eat a little extra and not feel guilty about it 🙂
¾ cup quinoa
1½ cup water
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup red onion (finely chopped)
½ cup carrot (finely choped)
150 gms broccoli florets
½ cup frozen peas
½ cup frozen corn
1½ tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp tahini
Salt & pepper to taste
1 spring onion (finely chopped)
¼ cup coriander (roughly chopped)
1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly with cold water for approximately 2 minutes in a saucepan.
2. Stir in 1½ cup water and bring to boil.
3. Lower heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Remove saucepan from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered.
5. In a frypan, heat ½ tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Beat egg and add to fry pan to make an omelet. Flip after a minute and dice into small pieces. Set aside and let cool.
6. Heat remaining ½ tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and carrot, and cook for a few minutes. Add broccoli and cook stirring constantly until vegetables are tender, about 2-3 minutes.
7. Add peas, corns, quinoa and egg, keep stirring until heated through. Approximately 1-2 minutes.
8. Add soy sauce, tahini, and gently mix to combine. Approximately 1-2 minutes.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Serve immediately with spring onion and coriander.
11. Enjoy!!! For a little spice, add sweet chili sauce 🙂
Love Secret Squirrel xx.