I love Hummus! Especially, if it’s Roasted Beetroot Hummus! I just love the beautiful vibrant pink color. It instantly provides happiness to the plate! Isn’t nature just wonderful?! If I could smother it on everything, I would! I always love having this in the fridge, as it is so incredibly handy used as a snack with vegetable sticks, crackers, bread etc. It’s also great in wraps and sandwiches. The beetroot adds a bit of a delicious twist to the traditional hummus! YUM!!! Roasted Beet Hummus with Avocado on Wholegrain Rye Bread, sprinkle of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime… Mmmmmmmmm… my absolute FAVE!!!
2 medium sized beetroot (skin on)
1 can chickpeas
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste
water to thin
1. Preheat oven at 170 degrees celcius.
2. Individually wrap each beetroot in foil and roast in the oven for approximately 2 hours until soft and tender.
3. Once beetroot is roasted, remove from the oven and let cool.
4. Peel skin and chop into chunks.
5. Drain chickpeas and rinse off all the brine.
6. Remove the skin from each chickpea by popping it out between your thumb and index finger.
7. Place the beetroot and chickpeas into a food processor along with the garlic and process for 1 minute.
8. Add tahini, lemon juice and a pinch of salt and keep processing.
9. Whilst the food processor is still running, slowly add water until the hummus becomes a smooth and creamy texture.
10. Refrigerate or use immediately. This will last in the fridge for approximately 4 days.
11. Enjoy! 🙂
Love Secret Squirrel xx.