You will always find me giggling in the kitchen when I’m making popcorn. There is just something so funny about the popcorn exploding and popping away in the saucepan. Even the thought of it makes me laugh! I’ve used “Shichimi Togarashi” or ” Nanami Togarashi” which is a Japanese Spice Mix containing 7 ingredients: Chilli Pepper, Orange Peel, Black Sesame, White Sesame, Japanese Pepper, Ginger and Seaweed. It is absolutely delicious and you will often (if not always!) find this spice in a little jar on the table at your favourite Japanese Restaurant. You should be able to find it at the Asian aisle at your local Supermarket or Grocer. It’s also great sprinkled on salads, soups, stir-frys etc. (A MUST-TRY!!) If you’re feeling a little peckish, then this is the perfect healthy snack! I love to pack a small bag of popcorn for an afternoon treat at work or for those lazy days in front of the TV. Sometimes I just pop some popcorn for a GIGGLE 🙂
1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
⅓ cup popcorn kernals
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp Shichimi Togarashi (Japanese Spice)
1. Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a large saucepan.
2. Drop 1 kernel in the hot oil and cover pan.
3. When kernel pops, pour in the rest of the popcorn (or enough to cover the bottom of the pan, no more than 1 kernel deep).
4. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and shake (allowing steam to escape) until popping stops.
5. Empty into a large mixing bowl.
6. Mix all spices in a separate bowl.
7. Add ½ tbsp coconut oil into the hot saucepan and melt.
8. Pour the popcorn back into the saucepan and shake.
9. Sprinkle the the spice mixture over the popcorn and shake again.
10. Serve immediately. It’s so addictive. You’ll be wanting MORE!!!
Made with love by the Secret Squirrel xx.