Gluten-free Spiced Carrot + Date “Break-Fast” Loaf. It’s the perfect healthy Iftar treat for Ramadan! 🙂 Dates are traditionally used for breaking the fast during the Ramadan. One of the many benefits of breaking the fast with dates is that dates have a high level of natural sugars for a bit of an energy boost! What I love about this breakfast loaf is that it is super moist, absolutely delicious, naturally sweetened with fruit and is gentle on the stomach. I also love the aromatic smells wafting from the oven throughout the kitchen. It is also completely refined sugar-free, dairy-free and gluten-free. Wrap them up into little parcels and they also make the perfect gift for your loved ones. YUM!!
I used a 10.5cm x 20.5cm loaf tin.
1½ cup almond meal
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup mashed banana
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ cup carrots (finely grated)
½ cup dates (roughly chopped)
½ cup dessicated coconut
½ cup walnuts (roughly chopped)
½ cup dried cranberries
pepitas and pumpkin seeds to decorate
1. Preheat oven at 170 degrees celcius.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine almond meal, baking soda, baking powder and spices. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix banana, eggs and coconut oil. Gently fold into the dry mixture.
4. Fold in all remaining ingredients until just combined.
5. Pour mixture into loaf tin and bake for approximately 30 – 35 mins.
6. Happy Iftar!! 🙂
Love Secret Squirrel xx.