Zaatar spiced flax crackers… I like to also refer to these as bird seed crackers, haha. Zaatar spice is a traditional and popular spice blend in the Middle East. It is a very versatile every day spice mixture made up of dried herbs, sumac, sesame seeds and salt. Delicious sprinkled on food or used as a spice rub… a spice fairy dust! These flax crackers are perfectly paired with my Garlicky Hummus and what I love about flax crackers is its simplicity. Guess what binds these flax crackers together? It’s WATER! I love playing this guessing game as people are always so surprised! Flax seeds release a sticky gooey substance which enables the crackers to bind together. Genius!
⅓ cup flax seeds
½ cup water
¼ cup sunflower seeds
2 tbsp pepitas
2 tbsp sesame seeds
½ tsp rosemary
3 tbsp zaatar spice
¼ tsp salt
1. Mix flax seeds with water and let sit for 1 hour (the seeds will release a sticky gooey substance which will act as the binder for the crackers).
2. Preheat oven at 100 degrees celcius.
3. Add sunflower seeds and pepitas to food processor and process until roughly chopped. Add to the sticky flax seed mixture.
4. Mix in the rest of the ingredients
5. Line baking tray with baking paper. Divide mixture into 2 and spread the mixture onto the tray with a spatula. Press firmly until thin and flat.
6. Using a knife, cut the slice into small squares (this will make it easier to break apart later).
7. Put into the oven for approximately 45 mins. The crackers are ready when they are dry and crisp. Or alternatively, these can go into a dehydrator.
8. Let cool and then break into pieces.
9. Enjoy! Perfect as a snack on their own and are also delicious with dips!
Made with love by the Secret Squirrel xx.